Hot Water Heaters
- Check the thermostat on your water heater. A water heater setting of 120 degrees is usually sufficient.
- Add a water heater jacket to older water heaters (purchased before 1990) to save energy. (Consult owner’s manual before installing.)
- Make sure your hot water pipes are insulated. This reduces heat loss.
- Repair leaky faucets; dripping can result in gallons of wasted hot water.
- Take showers instead of baths which use more hot water. Install a shower head with a flow rate less than 2.5 gallons per minute for maximum water efficiency.
- Wash full loads in dishwashers and washing machines.
- Use warm or cold water settings on washing machines when possible.